Tuesday 25 May 2021

Ramana Maharishi and The Man in the Mirror

 The man in the mirror is your conventional self, the self defined by superimposition and a depthless self lacking the profound life of the realised sage.  Pure consciousness that vivifies flows into it from outside. and would be expected if given a form to be opposite to that trapped in the illusion.   Is that overextending the metaphor?  Possibly unless we take cognisance of the experience of the Maharishi (great sage) Ramana.

I have been saying all along that the Heart Centre is on the right side, even when learned men differed from me. I speak from experience. I knew it even in my home during my self-absorption. Again during the incident recorded in Self-Realization, I had a very clear vision and experience. All of a sudden a light came from one side erasing the world-vision. I felt that the heart on the left had stopped and the body became blue and inert. Vasudeva Sastri embraced the body and wept over my death, but I could not speak. All the time I was feeling that the Heart Centre on the right was working as well as ever. This state lasted fifteen or twenty minutes. Then suddenly something shot out from the right to the left like a rocket bursting into the sky. The blood resumed circulation and the normal condition of the body was restored.
 

The life force had subsided into the Hridaya but Ramana dissuaded others from dwelling on that as the ultimate reality.  Pure consciousness is beyond any focal point. 

He also writes of the Hridaya:

18. Between the two breasts, below the chest and above the stomach, there are six organs of various colours. Of these one, looking like a lily bud, is the Heart, two digits to the right (of the centre of the chest).

19. Its face is turned downwards. In the tiny hole within it there exists the dense darkness (of ignorance) together with desire and so on. All the major nerves are connected with it; it is the abode of breath, the mind and the light (of consciousness).

No comments: