Tuesday 3 March 2020

Simone Weil says


There’s an amusing cartoon on Simone Weil here:
simone
which reminds me how resistant I am to her. Her use of herself was dislocated, forced, misplaced and slightly futile. There is speculation that she was Asperger’s. Her extreme physical awkwardness is supposed to be an indication. No one wanted to be near Simone when she got her gun and perhaps fortunately her stepping into a pot of boiling oil put her hors de combat. It was foolish to starve herself to death mimicking the supposed rations of her countrymen when she might have lived to do her duty as a French scryer of mythology. She was young and therefore somewhat abstract and unable to ask in all humility - ‘what am I fit for’, ‘what ought I do’, what is the growing point of my competence, my dharma?

1 comment:

Leonard said...

Hello nice poost