Monday 4 April 2022

The Furniture of the Mind and I AM.

The Self cannot be accepted or rejected by Itself or by others, nor does It accept or reject anyone else.  This is right knowledge.  (#83, Chap.XVII Right Knowledge from Upadesa Sahasri of Shankaracarya)

We move the furniture of the mind about looking for maximum effect.  A touch of Existential anomie with a soupçon of the Quinean and the mystic plangency of the curlew’s pipe at dusk.  To keep adding to the philosophical palette until your temperament is perfectly at rest is the aim that misses the Self that never stops saying ‘I am’.

The Sense of "I am(Consciousness)

My teacher told me to hold on to the sense 'I am' tenaciously and not to swerve from it even for a moment. I did my best to follow his advice and in a comparatively short time I realized within myself the truth of his teaching. All I did was to remember his teaching, his face, his words constantly. This brought an end to the mind; in the stillness of the mind I saw myself as I am -- unbound.

I simply followed (my teacher's) instruction which was to focus the mind on pure being 'I am', and stay in it. I used to sit for hours together, with nothing but the 'I am' in my mind and soon peace and joy and a deep all-embracing love became my normal state. In it all disappeared -- myself, my Guru, the life I lived, the world around me. Only peace remained and unfathomable silence.

(Nisargadatta Maharaj)

No comments: